Monday, October 11, 2010




The first image is the "Bad Ad" that I chose to work with. As you can see, it's pretty much a disaster. The alignment is chaotic, there is very little contrast, the image of the soldier continues outside of the border, and fonts don't relate at all. This ad definitely needed some redesigning.

The second image is my recreation of the "Bad Ad." First of all, I knew there had to be some sort of organized alignment. I decided to center the first and last two lines, but then right align the center two because of their location in relation to the image in the background. For contrast, I decided I wouldn't include color because that was one thing I didn't like about the original ad (the way the image of the soldier stood out even though it wasn't the most important part). Instead, I used grey, black, and white to contrast. I bolded the most important parts of the text and made the image of the soldier a lighter grey to help it fade into the background (because it's large size already made it stand out quite a bit). For fonts, I understood that who ever made the original ad wanted to portray the event as fun and exciting. I chose a font to represent this, and then for the more straight forward information (like date, time, etc.) I stayed within the same simple font family to make the ad less chaotic. In changing all of these things, I think, if nothing else, the information is clearer (more direct) and the ad is more pleasant to look at. I hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. SP!
    I love this ad and I love the picture that you chose for it! It really seems to match the time period and I love how you didn't add any colors because the picture is black and white. The fonts really match well together also. The only thing I would change is the size of the font of the address and ticket prices because right now, it's a little hard to see and same with the 7th annual, I think that it should be accentuated a little bit more. Overall, I think that the ad is great and is really nice!
    (:
    Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the picture you chose for the ad. It brings out the time period and the faded black also makes relates with the time. Although the picture is really big and take up most of the page you made it work by fading it into the background. There isn't a variety of colors but the different hues of black, gray, and white all contrast well with each other. The right alignment also makes room for the picture and creates good organization. I like how only certain things are bolded and emphasized. I think overall you did a great job the only thing I would change in making the font maybe one size bigger, but everything else looks great!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete